Last week I couldn’t help but to feel inspired by an article we stumbled on in the Seattle Times regarding a local photographer who is creating a portfolio of his favorite people in Seattle. Quoted in an interview, the artist stated that his project is by no means “the,” but rather “a” top 100. I’ve since emailed him to get a moment to interact with that type of person, and admit that there was a little jealousy that he came up with such a great idea first. His response after sharing that I wish I could do the same was:
we are already working on building that functionality for a “real” seattle 100 site that will launch with the book. i’ll hope you’ll be one of the first to participate when that comes to life!
Well alright! But, in order to do this properly, we’re thinking it should be one of those things you don’t have to try and do, you just do because somebody stood out. Today, local DJ Josh Quest and his status update on Facebook kicked it off pretty good. Josh is one of those Facebook friends you just end up collecting if you live downtown, and we’re now starting off by collecting him as our first person to recognize for being one of our local favorites. Today he posted a mix of a house music mix along with a status update saying, “This is what sunshine sounds like to me…” If you’re coming to Seattle, there’s no doubt that either yourself, or friends have poked fun at our weather. For most, we think they’ve been pleasantly surprised that it doesn’t actually rain here as much as they might say.
- Mobile, Ala.: 67 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
- Pensacola, Fla.: 65 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
- New Orleans, La.: 64 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
- West Palm Beach, Fla.: 63 inches average annual rainfall; 58 average annual rainy days
- Lafayette, La.: 62 inches average annual rainfall; 55 average annual rainy days
- Baton Rouge, La.: 62 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
- Miami, Fla.: 62 inches average annual rainfall; 57 average annual rainy days
- Port Arthur, Texas: 61 inches average annual rainfall; 51 average annual rainy days
- Tallahassee, Fla.: 61 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
- Lake Charles, La.: 58 inches average annual rainfall; 50 average annual rainy days
Fact is, nobody can even really argue that Seattle is absolutely gorgeous during the summer time in addition to incredibly eventful with events like the Bite of Seattle, Bumbershoot, Seafair and many more. It’s not uncommon for people to just be walking around taking pictures of the cityscape, the mountains, Puget Sound, Lake Washington, the ferries, more Space Needle, the statue of the Chief of Seattle, the market… We can’t hide that we’re guilty of being local tourists ourselves.
At any rate, Josh is no rookie to our nightlife here, and people love him for not only for his positive, sexy, upbeat music, but also because he’s just an all around fun guy. He’s also a busy guy, and you can catch him every Wednesday at the new Tiki Joe’s in Belltown Kirkland, or follow him on Facebook for other upcoming events.
Gotta admit, we’re excited to see who stands out next! Enjoy the music.